Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Outreach

          One of the purposes of my blog was to give first hand knowledge of what it is like to go through a midwifery program from a Navajo perspective.  Upon entering the graduate program I was amazed to find that even though 75% of all Native American women in the U.S. received women's health care from midwives, there is only a limited amount of Native American Nurse Midwives that practice in the United States at this time.  Currently in our state of New Mexico there is only one Native American Nurse Midwife practicing.  Why does this matter?   Long before Indian Health Services became part of the "normal" childbirth rituals for our Native women, a majority of our childbirth practices was provided in the home and usually by a family member who was knowledgeable about traditional childbirth practices.  Over time these traditional childbirth practices have been abandoned and a "Blessing Way Ceremony" was replaced by a doctors visit. I realize that historically Indian Health Services was necessary to help correct the increasing loss of mothers and babies to illness prenatally, postnatally, and in labor.  However in the process it seems there has been very little meshing of our traditional philosophies and way's of life with the Indian Health Services model of care.  As a good mentor of mine has said.." there is no INDIAN in Indian Health Services."   
          I believe that most Native American providers will find themselves in a unique position to walk between the two worlds of our traditional healers philosophies and the western medicinal philosophies.  We have something to offer with a unique perspective that only we can understand and provide to the communities we are helping. So for those few individuals who find themselves walking this path, I wanted to help nurture that drive with my experiences and knowledge.  This is why I find it vital to encourage Native American women to consider Nurse-Midwifery as a path for them. I realize up to this point I have talked about things from an emotional perspective rather than specific experiences, but really it has been the emotions that have been most memorable.  Unexpectedly I have found a deeper connection with my own culture and a deeper respect for our traditional philosophies as it applies to pregnancy and childbirth.  I am amazed at how vital our traditional teachings are and how immersed in the care of our bodies and minds they are.  It is our traditional philosophies that carry us and that shape our minds to view the world in a different way.  It is with this perspective I want to share in the care of women.
          For me, part of the journey is to help educate young students about Midwifery.  As a young student in high school I never realized ones ability to impact others.  I looked up to those who were known leaders, but I never considered myself as one.  I have to say, I don't think I would have been ready for this role if it wasn't for my children and husband who have helped mold me into a woman who speaks up.  Even the very challenging events in my life have taught me to speak up and not get stepped on.  My point is, know matter your circumstances, you have many opportunities to grow from them.  You can't let your circumstances keep you from reaching your potential.  We all know that Native Americans have been marginalized for years, but that shouldn't be an excuse to marginalize ourselves and never see beyond our own circumstances.  I think for a Native American high school student to connect with someone who grew up under similar circumstances who now is in a position to lead in any field of education or profession can be very empowering.  It is kinda like..I am here now, but I want to be there later.  Now how do I get there?  Planting the seed is just the first step.  Personally, I am not surprised to see and hear that more and more Native Americans are entering health fields.  Based on my personal observation most of us excel with hands on learning.  We tend to do more listening then talking. Perhaps we have our ancestors to thank for that.  Lets just say our instincts have been rooted in our understanding of nature and natural life cycles. 
          It may be that what I'm talking about is already known by many, its just no one is talking about it.  Which I consider another Native American trait, we know what is going on, but don't expect us to always be talking about it.  All I know is...this indian is talking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment