Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chinle

     I said my fare wells to my family yesterday afternoon.  My kids all gave me individual hugs and of course I told them each to help their dad while I was gone.  I hope that I can skype here so that I can at least see their little faces on a daily bases.  My husband promises to have them all well behaved by the time I return, but I think my kids have there own ideas.  Besides, I thought they were well behaved already?  Last night I spent most of my evening putting away all my stuff and getting groceries for the next couple of weeks.  
     Today was my first official day and so far it is going well. I spent the morning filling out all the government issue paperwork.  For anyone who has worked at an Indian Health Service Unit, know what I'm talking about.  My neighbor was nice enough to let me use his wi-fi access and his washer and dryer.  Which is a major bonus!  Internet is a resource people here don't all get to use.  So I'm thankful.  The neighbor I mentioned is a pharmacist and after chatting a little with him has told me it takes about 3 hours for medications to get filled..3 hours!  I guess that is rural health for you!  
      If I could describe Chinle,  I would say it is different shades of brown with tumble weeds all curled up at some of the western fences.  Mountains to the west and Canyon De Chelly National Monument to the East.  The main road coming into Chinle, goes to the heart of the town then T's off in two different directions. The Navajo term "Chinle" translates into "A Place Where Water Emerges from Canyon's Mouth"  While driving over here I was able to take in the beautiful sites and see farm animals grazing on the side of the road.  This also means I had to be careful not to run into one.  These photos don't do this place justice, because in the evening while the sun is setting, the mountains to the East turn bright red.
     I have to say it was nice hearing my native language spoken so freely in the hallways of the hospital.  Tomorrow is a new day and I get to meet more people.  Which I am thankful for, because I am already missing my family and all the sounds of my busy house.  

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have to be away from your family like that ;( What an enormous sacrifice. I hope you have an absolutely wonderful experience. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whiny, I know it is a huge sacrifice for my whole family, but this is one of the few places that I can really learn about traditional midwifery. I've never been away from my family like this, so I can imagine it will take some getting used to. This home sick feeling is something I've never experienced before, but it is also a reminder of how important my family is to my well being. I think in the end we will all have a greater appreciation for each other and what it means to be together as a family.

    ReplyDelete